How to Get There
Lake Chala lies on the the South Eastern flank of Mount Kilmanjaro just 55 kilometers from Moshi, near the Holili / Taveta border post to Kenya. Also known as Chala Crater Lake, Lake Chala lies at a height of 900 meters. The time zone at Lake Chala is Africa/Dar-es-Salaam. Sunrise at 06:35 and Sunset at 18:44. Latitude. -3.3166667°, Longitude. 37.6833333°
Driving In by Road:
- From Dar-es-Salaam: Travel west on the B1, turn right at Himo Junction onto the A23 and follow directions below.
- From Arusha or Moshi: keep straight on the A23 at Himo Junction
- From Himo Junction it is 10 kms to the Chala turn off. @ GPS: S. 03 22.464E' 037. 36.513 mins.
- From Taveta/ Holili border drive 4 kms and turn right onto the gravel road
Then pass the turn to Marangu on your left in Himo town 9 kms from Himo there is a milestone on the left showing 'Holili 6 km'. This is followed by five sweeping bends and a slight rise, at the top of the rise turn left onto the gravel road to Chala. There is a sign on the main road to Lake Chala Safari Lodge and Campsites.
For International flights, the nearest airport is Kilimanjaro International Airport - KIA about 30 kilometers the far side of Moshi. For local flights Coastal Air now flies to Moshi town daily. Transport can be arranged privately or by Lake Chala Safari Lodge.
If coming by taxi to Lake Chala here are reliable taxi drivers contacts:
From Kilimanjaro Airport / Moshi:
- Victor +255 (0) 756 - 969 639
- Juma +255 (0) 756 - 861 891
NOTE: We advise you check rates with us directly to avoid the outrageous fees that some tour guides may quote.